Don't Even Think About It

Don't Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski

Rating: 2.5 out of 5


About the Book
Title: Don't Even Think About It
Author: Sarah Mlynowski
Publishing Date: May 1st 2014
Publisher: Orchard Books
ISBN: 9781408331569
Provided by: Hachette Children's Books & Netgalley

Summary (via Netgalley)
Imagine if EVERYONE could here your thoughts: your best friend, your worst enemy, your secret crush...
This is the story of how we became freaks. It's how a group of I's became a we. 
When Class 10B got their flu shots, they expected some side effects. Maybe a sore arm. Maybe a headache. They definitely didn't expect to get telepathy. But suddenly they could hear what everyone was thinking. Their friend. Their teachers. Their parents. Now they all know that Tess has a crush on her best friend, Teddy. That Mackenzie cheated on Cooper. That Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper. Some of them will thrive. Some of them will break. Non of them will ever be the same. 

Review
Don't Even Think About It... I'm trying really hard not to! I wanted so much to like this book but the further I got into it the less sense it made. I don't know about the espies having a headache but I sure as hell do!

By all means write a fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal novel, seriously go wild! But remember it's one of the hardest to get right! This is because you can go wild... you can create anything you want. For instance you can give people superpowers, but you also have to have at least some smidgen of realism in there otherwise we - the readers - aren't going to be able to connect with the characters. And that was the problem here.

The story had no real structure, nothing much of anything happened and what did didn't seem to connect. There were several serious plot flaws to this books and the main on being I can sum up what happened in 10 worlds... They got a flue shot. They got telepathy. They argued... see 10 worlds, the end.

That's not too say it was all bad... if it was, I would have marked it a lot lower. It has these odd moments where you can see that the author is genuinely funny. BJ and Tess for example... or even the incident with Mackenzie's parents. There were also a couple of character's that I began to feel something resembling empathy for, but there were just too many voices to connect with any single one.

Which of course leads me to the voices! I know, I know, it's the point of the whole book. How Is became a We, and all that but it was so confusing! And not in a good way. There were more than a couple of moments when I wanted to put this book down, but my stubbornness kept me going.

The end was... well, it was an end I guess. She's left it open for another book and I just hope that it has more of a plot line too it! I hope something actually happens! Because all in all the writing was good, it was easy to read and as I said, there were funny moments. The problem with this book was the plot.

I don't think I can recommend this... I was going to recommend it for younger YA readers but the language - especially towards the end - isn't appropriate. I don't know. This book wasn't for me, which is a shame because I really did want to like it.


These are a few notes I made while reading Tease. All notes where made on my GoodReads page.





**I received this book as an ARC from Netgalley to read & review. This is a 100% honest review.**

No comments:

Post a Comment