#5Questions




Author Bio (via Website)

Jodi Meadows lives and writes in the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, with her husband, a Kippy*, and an alarming number of ferrets. She is a confessed book addict, and has wanted to be a writer ever since she decided against becoming an astronaut. She is the author of the INCARNATE Trilogy and the forthcoming ORPHAN QUEEN Duology (HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen).

*A Kippy is a cat.


Title: Incarnate
Author: Jodi Meadows
Publishing Date:  January 21st 2012
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
ISBN: 0062060759

Summary (via GoodReads)




New soul
Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

No soul
Even Ana’s own mother thinks she’s a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she’ll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?
Heart
Sam believes Ana’s new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana’s enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else’s life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?
Jodi Meadows expertly weaves soul-deep romance, fantasy, and danger into an extraordinary tale of new life.




1. How did you get into writing?


I have always been a storyteller, but it wasn't until I was twelve years old that I realized books didn't appear on shelves by magic -- an actual person wrote them, and writing was a legitimate job to aim for. 

It's always seemed so cool that I get to make up stories. For my job


2. When starting a book how much of it comes straight from your imagination and how much is research?


I wish I could give you a percentage on that, but . . . I don't know. A lot comes right out of my imagination, but I have to back things up with research. Or sometimes research will spark an idea. And I do research alot of things. 


3. Who is your favourite character you have written and why?


Oh that is an impossible question. I don't think I have a favorite overall. I'm usually pretty fond of whatever characters I happen to be working on at the moment, though. Or, if the current book is misbehaving, whichever character was last behaving the best. 


4. Do you go into a book knowing how you want it to end?


Generally. With the INCARNATE series, I certainly did know how the book and series would conclude. With THE OROHAN QUEEN, I rewrote the end to the first book once, and didn't even know the end of the series until partway into writing book 2. 


5. What 5 books would you recommend for your readers?

That really depends on the individual reader! But in general, for fantasy lovers, I like to recommend:

DEFIANCE by CJ Redwine
THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORN by Rae Carson
GRAVE MERCY by Robin LaFevers
SERAPHINA by Rachel Hartman
SHADOW AND BONE by Leigh Bardugo

And anything by Robin McKinley. 

2 comments:

  1. Great interview, Emily! I love Jodi and her books and cannot wait for Orphan Queen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. We've got some more really cool authors picked for later this summer, make sure to check it out :)

      Delete