Review: Hexed

HEXED
by Michelle Krys


Publisher: Delacorte Press
Publication Date: 10th June 2014
ISBN: 0449813118
Received from: NetGalley


Summary

A stolen book. A deadly plan. A destiny discovered. 
If high school is all about social status, Indigo Blackwood has it made. Sure, her quirky mom owns an occult shop, and a nerd just won't stop trying to be her friend, but Indie is a popular cheerleader with a football-star boyfriend and a social circle powerful enough to ruin everyone at school. Who wouldn't want to be her?
Then a guy dies right before her eyes. And the dusty old family Bible her mom is freakishly possessive of is stolen. But when a frustratingly sexy stranger named Bishop enters Indie's world, she learns that her destiny involves a lot more than pom-poms and parties. If she doesn't get the Bible back, every witch on the planet will die. And that's seriously bad news for Indie, because according to Bishop, she's a witch too.
Suddenly forced into a centuries-old war between witches and sorcerers, Indie is about to uncover the many dark truths about her life—and a future unlike any she ever imagined on top of the cheer pyramid.


Review

I was so excited about this book! I wanted it to be good but it just wasn't. It wasn't the great read I was expecting it to be which left me feeling all kinds of disappointed. It dragged, and the character's were annoying at best. It didn't make me want to turn the page (which is kind of an important quality for a book to have) and even though I felt like there was a good story line in there - somewhere - I just couldn't get into it.

Hexed is primarily a story about witches and the difference between good and evil. It's a story that focuses a lot on friendship and the what not's to do in a relationship. Indie is a normal everyday bitchy cheerleader one day and then the next she sees a leather clad teenager die right in front of her. Which then leads to a series of events that will unravel her world. Which in all honesty, isn't exactly a bad thing as Indie's life before was so shallow it would made a paddling pool look like the deepest depth of the ocean.

Something good... something good... well the character's had pretty cool names. Okay, that's a little hash it did have one or two redeeming qualities. Firstly, there were one or two moments - towards the end of the book - where Indie's snarky attitude was something close to funny and then there's the fact that it's not actually badly written. The settings are brilliantly vivid and the story line is some what interesting but overall it didn't pull together. It seems to lack that something extra that makes a book special.

The problem with Hexed was that it pushed all my buttons! I think that every single one of my book pet hates where in this book and it made it almost impossible to get through!

  • Annoying teenage girl protagonist - check. 
  • Unappealing book boyfriend - double check! 
  • Cliffhanger - AH! 
  • Then, as if it couldn't get worse, the epilogue decided to take a different POV - which I HATE! Stick with one point of view, or make sure we're had two POV the whole way through!! 

But I think the biggest problem with this book was the fact I couldn't connect or get behind any of the characters. I found Indie incessantly annoying and Bishop was just... meh. They were all flighty and melodramatic. It was like reading a witchy soap opera. 

I'm not sure if it's just me or maybe it really is a bad book but what I do know is I won't be reading book two - even though it had a stupid cliffhanger than made me what to through my kindle at a brick wall! However, what really disappointed me was the fact that it had a half decent story line and the potential to be something great. 

"Oh Please" someone tell me why I just wasted my time reading this!?
 photo 2_zpsc17d9d4c.jpg
**I received this book as an ARC from Netgalley to read & review. This is a 100% honest review.**

2 comments:

  1. :( I'm sorry that you didn't like this one too much. Hexed sounds really good, and maybe it'll have the potential to be something great for me! I'll get it soon to see! :) Great review, Mily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Well I hope you enjoy it more than I did! I think there is a good story line in there, underneath the snarky attitudes. But as I said it just seemed have all my pet hates.

      Mily xx

      Delete