REVIEW: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD
by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany & Jack Thorne


Pages: 352 Hardback
Publisher: Little Brown UK
Publication Date: 31st July 2016
ISBN: 0751565350



Summary 


It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places. 
Review

HARRY'S BACK!!!!

It is no secret that I love Harry Potter, the books, the movies and everything else that comes with it. I'm still waiting on my letter from Hogwards but it's only 12 years late and you know what Royal Mail is like so I'm still hopeful. There really isn't much Rowling can do wrong in my book so I'm going to try my hardest to keep this as unbiased as I can but I would be lying if I said that is going to be easy.

So lets look at the facts shall we? It has been 19 years since Harry Potter defeated Voldemort in the Battle of Hogwards. For those who so tragically lost their lives you are forever in our hearts! Harry and Ginny got hitched and had three little brats of their own - James, Albus and Lily. This story starts where the 7th book ends, with Harry sending Albus (Albus Severus Potter to be exact) to Hogwarts for his first year and it follows him threw to his 4th. Just like his dad Albus has an ability to attract danger and gets himself into one or two tricky predicaments that he and the rest of the cast have to get themselves out of. It is also a script if you didn't already know this! It goes along side the west end production of The Cursed Child.

Okay now onto the gushing! Hogwarts is back in our lives! It is as magical as ever and just as we remember. The wizarding world has been able to pick itself back up after the whole Voldemort 'situation' and our favourite characters are leading the lives we always hoped they would! This is basically for all those people who have struggled to let go. It is the kind of Harry Potter story we have come to know and love!



This is the part were I try to be neutral - I watched an interview where J.K. said it was the next generation of Harry Potter but I think that is a bit of a stretch. The story is interesting and keeps you turning the page but it is definitely for the Harry Potter fans that already exist. In fact I fear that people who decide they are going to start their journey into this magical world with this instillment may be very much disappointed. As I said the story IS good, Rowling knows how to tell a story but there are so many references to the past it feels like it has been written just to appease the fans - NOT THAT I'M COMPLAINING!!!

For all die hard HP fans you wont be able to put this book down and you'll read it time and time again just like all the other stories. The appearances of all our favourite characters that we thought were lost forever and reading about our three childhood heros will be enough to make use love this book. However, if you look at it honestly it does feel a little repetitive and the core of the story does make me wonder why it was written. Now this might simply by because it is a script and on stage where you have the actors bringing the characters to life this could be one of the best Harry Potter stories to date but on paper it does feel like Harry Potter 2.0.

Actually feels like a sin to say anything negative about Rowling!


Maybe I just had REALLY high expectations for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child but it did fall a little flat. I felt there were too many characters from the past being bought back and the core of the story could have been a little stronger. HOWEVER, this is just my opinion and even with the negatives I will be reading this again and again and it will go on pride of place on my bookshelf next to the rest of the Harry Potter books. I think the issue I have is I just wish it felt like a new story and not just a continuation of a story that - in my opinion - was ended so perfectly with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.

All in all I still really liked it though and come on... it's Harry freaking Potter!!!!


1 comment: