REVIEW: THE CREEPER MAN

THE CREEPER MAN
by Dawn Kurtagich



Pages: 371 paperback
Publisher: Orion Children's Books
Publication Date: 14th July 2016
ISBN: 1510101683


Summary 

When Silla and her little sister, Nori, escape London and their abusive father, Aunt Cath's country house feels like a safe haven. Leaving the smog and fear behind, the girls have the love and freedom they never had in their violent home. But slowly, ever so slowly, things begin to unravel.
Aunt Cath locks herself in the attic and spends day and night pacing; every day the surrounding forest inches slowly towards the house; a mysterious boy appears from the enclosing wood offering friendship, and Nori claims that a man watches them from the dark forest. A man with no eyes who creeps ever closer. 

Review

Dawn Kurtagich is one of my favourite authors at the moment and her debut novel The Dead House still gives me the chills today. So when it came to reading her second book The Creeper Man I had high expectations. I was not disappointed although it was not what I was expecting. However, as always Dawn managed to creep me the fudge out!

Me while reading The Creeper Man... TOTALLY spooked!

The Creeper Man is the haunting story of Silla Daniels as she takes her little sister Nori to a new life at La Baume. La Baume is the manor in which their Aunt Cathy lives, but when they arrive it isn't the fresh new start they were hoping for. The house holds too many secrets and as the woods begin to move closer, trapping them in the house that has driven their Aunt mad, Silla and Nori are left to confront The Creeper Man. A fairy tale gone wrong, the boogie man in the woods, The Creeper Man has no eyes and tall thin limbs like menacing tree roots. He comes when he's called and in 1980 Cath and her two sisters summoned him to La Baume... he never left.

There were moments of pure horrifying genius in this book that will make me fear walking into the woods the rest of my life! The story itself in woven with an unusual writing style that is almost like being inside Silla's deteriorating brain. The text repeats itself, it gets bigger and smaller when appropriate and paints a disturbing picture of what it is like to be haunted by The Creeper Man.

Silla herself is a fascinating character, she is the quintessential YA protagonist in many ways, 17, strong, stubborn and has the weight of the world on her shoulders. However, at the same time she is falling apart, she is scared. Silla wants to keep her family safe but you get the feeling she doesn't know how and from start to finish she is in survival mode. My heart broke for Silla so many times and the disturbing things she had to go through to get to the end of the book gave me shivers.

This is one of those books that twists and turns until it morphs into something you weren't expecting. I don't want too say much as I don't want to give anything away but the ending blew my mind and made me realise I wasn't reading the story I thought I was.

Although just because I can't tell you what happens doesn't mean I cant' show you in gifs....

This isn't happening

OMG it happened

Mind blown

WHAT!?!?!


The Creeper Man left me with a tear in my eye, a slightly broken heart and sleeping with the lights on for the foreseeable future.

Perfect for Halloween Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment