REVIEW: Wayfarer

WAYFARER
by Alexandra Bracken


Pages: 534 paperback
Publisher: Quercus Children's Books
Publication Date: 17th January 2017
ISBN: 9781786540027
Received From:  Quercus Children's Books

Summary 

All Etta Spencer wanted was to make her violin debut when she was thrust into a treacherous world where the struggle for power could alter history. After losing the one thing that would have allowed her to protect the Timeline, and the one person worth fighting for, Etta awakens alone in an unknown place and time, exposed to the threat of the two groups who would rather see her dead than succeed. When help arrives, it comes from the last person Etta ever expected - Julian Ironwood, the Grand Master's heir who has long been presumed dead, and whose dangerous alliance with a man from Etta's past could put them both at risk. 
Meanwhile, Nicholas and Sophia are racing through time in order to locate Etta and the missing astrolabe with Ironwood travelers hot on their trail. They cross paths with a mercenary-for-hire, a cheeky girl named Li Min who quickly develops a flirtation with Sophia. But as the three of them attempt to evade their pursuers, Nicholas soon realises that one of his companions may have ulterior motives. 
As Etta and Nicholas fight to make their way back to one another, from Imperial Russia to the Vatican catacombs, time is rapidly shifting and changing into something unrecognisable ... and might just run out on both of them. 

Review

I was a little late to the Passenger hype but having now read both instillments of the the duology I am officially a fangirl! It was only a couple of months between reading both books but I found when I started Wayfarer I noticed how much I had really missed Etta and Nick. The character's, the story, the world in which Alexandra Bracken creates is riveting and magical and everything you could possibly want from a YA fantasy.

**Spoilers for those who haven't read the first book** 

Wayfarer starts where Passenger finished, with Etta lost in a time line that is not her own, her mother on a mission no one quite understands and Nick helplessly trying to find his way back to the girl he has unquestionably fallen for. In a quest to stop the Ironwoods from changing history Etta and Nick are pushed to their limits. The dangers and the risks are bigger than ever before and it's no longer as simple as saving Etta's mother anymore. The whole of history as they know it is at risk and with new faces bringing more trouble that ever before will Etta and Nick make it to the end of the story in one piece? 

"Love. Sacrifice. Release"

There is something about these books that just make me happy. There are moments that are heart breaking but when I'm reading them I can truly escape into the world in which Alexandra Bracken creates. There is something in it for everyone! There are pirates, adventure, history, fantasy, love and friendship. It is very rare you find a book that has so much and does it so well but Wayfarer is definitely one of them! As the final instillment of this duology, I was worried it wouldn't live up to the first book but in a way I think it surpassed it. There was something about the development of our favourite time travelling protagonists that kept me on tender hooks from the very first page. I'll admit I normally get a little wherry of the whole cat and mouse chase but the worlds in which these characters travel between are magical and dangerous all a the same time and I found myself needing to know what happened next.

Overall this was the perfect end to Etta and Nicks story. There was no questions left unanswered and it felt complete. Yes, I'm sad there isn't another book but Bracken managed to conclude in a way that left me completely satisfied. I know this is a story I will go back to and read again because after reading both books I care about these characters. This is YA at its best and I hope you all love(d) it as much as I did.


"Then may the best pirate win"


No comments:

Post a Comment