REVIEW: The Battlemage

THE BATTLEMAGE
by Taran Matharu


Pages: 439 hardcover
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Publication Date: May 4th 2017
ISBN: 9781444924275


Summary 

After the thrilling cliffhanger at the end of book two, we rejoin Fletcher and his friends in the ether, where they must undertake a mortally dangerous quest, all the while avoiding capture by enemies and facing foes more terrifying than anything they have yet encountered.

But this is nothing compared to what truly lies ahead for Fletcher, as his nemesis, albino orc Khan, is on a mission to destroy Hominum and everything and everyone that Fletcher loves.

Epic battles, dramatic revelations and breathtaking drama await in the third and final book in the New York Times bestselling Summoner series.

Review

**Spoilers for those who haven't read the first two books**

So here we have it, the final chapter in the Summoner books and oh my cheesus is fit a lot into its pages! There was action, there was drama and I'm happy to report there was more demons than ever before. I don't think I have ever fallen in love with a series so fast (excluding HP) and even though the last battle broke my heart into a thousand tiny pieces it ended beautifully... there were tears.

The Battlemage starts where The Inquisition ended with Fletcher, Othello, Sylva, Cress and Alice stepping through a portal into the orc part of the ether as a last ditch attempt to save themselves from the white orc and his army. Throughout this book we see our heroes pushed way beyond their limits as they try to survive the ether that had left Lovett paralysed, take on the Kings father and his corrupt nobles, while having to prepare for the biggest battle of their lives. Friendships are tested, old faces make their final appearance and Fletcher finally finds where he belongs.

Okay so lets get this out the way first, the reason in which I didn't give this 5 stars. Don't get me wrong I still loved this book and I completely understand why curtain things needed to happen for the progression of the story. However, my favourite thing about these books was the friendship between Fletcher, Othello and Sylva and without giving too much away there was a part of this book were that was lacking and I missed it!

Moving on for that small set back I did really enjoy this book. There wasn't a moment throughout this book that wasn't packed to the brim with action and drama. It had me sitting on the edge of my seat at times hoping for a happy ending and above all else it stayed true to the series. It answered all the questions left open in The Inquisition like with what happened to Blue, Jeffrey's betrayal and most importantly what the hell is going on with Ignatius and the whole bathing in lava thing? I mean, I like a hot bath as much as the next person and/or demon but time and place little guy!!

Overall though I was so happy with the way in which the series ended. I know the information in this review is a little sparse but spoilers and all that. Personally I wish there was more on Fletcher as I want to know what happened after the last page but at the same time I felt it ended perfectly, making it a well crafted trilogy that I honestly believe will stand the test of time. So that's that guys, all three books.... I really hope that if you haven't read them you are going to because as far as YA fantasy goes it has everything and has very quickly (and easily) become one of my favourite series.












**I received this book as an ARC from Hachette Children's Books to read & review. This is a 100% honest review.** 

No comments:

Post a Comment